DEADLINE EXTENDED: CFP for SHEAR Philadelphia, 13-16 July 2023
The submission deadline for the 44th annual meeting of the Society for Historians of the Early American Republic in Philadelphia, 13-16 July 2023, has been extended until 15 December 2022.
The Program Committee invites proposals for sessions and papers exploring all aspects of and approaches to the history and culture of the early American republic, c. 1776-1861. We particularly encourage submissions that:
- fill gaps in historical narratives, speak to key historiographical questions, and/or address pressing contemporary issues;
- reflect the diversity of the past and expand narratives of the early American republic to highlight Indigenous, Black, and global histories;
- focus on pedagogy and/or public history, as well as on digital humanities and other alternative methodologies;
- take nontraditional forms, such as centering audience participation, sharing pre-circulated papers, or assessing the state of a given field.
SHEAR is committed to inclusion and diversity and encourages panels that feature members of groups who have been historically underrepresented within the organization. Potential panelists should seek gendered, racial, institutional, interpretive, and career diversity, and each panel proposal should include a statement about how the panel furthers SHEAR’s commitment to diversity. Individual proposals will be considered, but the Program Committee prioritizes proposals for complete panels including a chair and commentator. The committee will consider proposals for traditional panels (3-4 papers plus chair and comment), roundtables (4-5 presenters plus chair/moderator), or other creative formats. In select cases, the committee may choose to alter or rearrange proposed panels and participants. Refer to the guidance available at https://www.shear.org/proposal-guidelines/ as you prepare your proposal.
All submissions should be filed as a single document (Word doc preferred), labeled with the first initial and surname of the contact person (e.g., “SmithJ2023”). All proposals must include:
- Panel title, one-paragraph description of panel topic, and one-paragraph panel diversity statement
- Email addresses and institutional affiliations (if applicable) for all participants
- Title and 100-word abstract for each paper
- One-page curriculum vitae for each participant, including chairs and commentators
- Indication of any needs for ADA accommodation
- Indication of any audio-visual requests (please request only if A/V is essential to a presentation)
The deadline for submission is December 15, 2022. Please submit your proposals by email at SHEAR2023@gmail.com with “SHEAR 2023” in the subject line.
Manisha Sinha, University of Connecticut, co-chair
Eliga Gould, Univerisity of New Hampshire, co-chair
Thomas Balcerski, Eastern Connecticut State University
Julia Bernier, Washington and Jefferson College
Corey Brooks, York College of PA
Christopher Cameron, University of North Carolina Charlotte
Nneka Dennie, Washington and Lee University
Kathleen Duval, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
Kate Haulman, American University DC
Stephanie Jones-Rogers, UC Berkeley
Philip Mead, Museum of American Revolution
Paul Polgar, University of Mississippi
Ariel Ron, SMU Dedman College of Humanities & Sciences
Calvin Schermerhorn, Arizona State University
Chernoh Sesay, DePaul University
Michael Witgen, Columbia University NY
30 November 2022