Dear SHEARites, 1 day until we meet in Cambridge for our 41stannual conference (#SHEAR19) and Robyn Lily Davis, SHEAR National Conference Coordinator, has a few updates and reminders to share with you. Please read all the way through and please overlook any cross-postings; she’s trying to reach everyone.
- Pre-registration is now closed. You may register on-site but please remember that we can accept only cash or checks, no credit cards, and that there is an on-site supplemental fee of $30. Registration opens Thursday, 5:00 to 7:30 pm in the conference hotel and continues on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- If it’s sizzling outside, it must be SHEAR …. As you’ve no doubt noted, we’re in the grip of a torrid and dangerous heat wave and Cambridge will be monumentally hot and humid this week. Please pack appropriately, wear plenty of sunscreen, and please do not neglect to hydrate, Hydrate, HYDRATE. It’s easy to underestimate the toll the humidity will take on you.
- Off-site events: buses depart from the main Broadway entrance of the hotel
- Salem – meet the bus at noon
- Adams Papers – meet bus at 12:30
- Freedom Trail – be at 73 Tremont St. (exit the T at Park St.) at 1:00
- USS Constitution – meet your bus at 3:15
- A government-issued photo I.D. is required to board the USS Constitution. Tour includes standing and climbing ladderways between decks; comfortable shoes are recommended.
- MAAH – be at the Museum at 36 Joy St. (exit the T at Park St.) at 2:30
- If you registered for AAS/MHS reception – be at MHS at 1154 Boylston St. beginning at 6:30.
- By subway:walk left out of Hynes Convention Center T stop, then right on Boylston St.
If you did not register for the reception, please do not just show up. We have strict Fire Marshall limits, I’m sorry.
- Grad Student Meet-n-Greet – Pour House at 9:00 pm
- Turn left on Boylston after leaving the Hynes T stop.
If you did not register for the Meet-n-Greet, NO WORRIES. Just show up, we got you.
- Presidential Address – shuttle buses will run beginning at 6:00 pmand then will circle between HLS and the hotel until 10:30
- Concord – meet the bus at 1:15
- Harvard/Royall House – meet the bus at 1:30
Tours guides may make adjustments to account for the weather but please follow the above to start.
As always, I send you traveling mercies and I look forward to seeing you in Cambridge soon! If you need anything before then, please e-mail Robyn at firstname.lastname@example.org.